Tuesday, February 27

reading, watching, sewing



Another week has flown past - and I'm still working on my patchwork strips - I do have a plan now for them too, but I'm still not sharing yet. I have spent most of the week emersed in Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. This book is really different in its make up, and sometimes the many references included can be annoying, distracting from the story. However, I enjoyed it, and hadn't guessed the end half way through, so it became a riveting read. I hate when you know what is going to happen. The main character, Blue is so naive at times that you just grimace reading, but I would recommend it. I have now moved on to Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, the illustrated edition, which is so heavy it makes reading in bed a sort of gymnastic workout! So far, so good with this too - which is lucky, because I really hate getting a downer, waste of time book after you've read something good - and I've been on a bit of a roll so far with the reading. My favourite in the last few weeks was actually a re-read, Cloudstreet, by Tim Winton - if you wan't a good Australian story to read - this is it. Don't you agree sis?

J and I finally managed some time out from the kids the other night, and saw, Notes on a Scandal. It is really interesting to see a movie where you don't like either of the main characters - such nasty pieces of work - but so fascinating. I always love Cate Blanchett, but am not always a Judi Dench fan, yet she played this so well. Another recommendation.

Otherwise, I am still slogging myself at the gym, keeping Miss L amused when not at school, and trying desperately to find my next project - I'm thinking something along the lines of this but different - how's that for clarity!

3 comments:

laura capello said...

i have been needing to read a really, really good book lately. the last one i read ("gods in alabama" by joshilyn jackson) was really an eh -- the author tried twists and turns which really didn't satisfy. and then i tried to read "the time traveler's wife" and i just can't get into it after four chapters. by then, i should be consumed with reading so much that social services should be called because my children have been sitting in front of the tv all day.

Anonymous said...

I did really love Cloudstreet and found Winton's earlier(?) book 'The Riders' at Stirling market on weekend so will tuck into that soon. I am waiting for you to answer our bookclub questions first and I think it is your choice for next read although.... I have read good things about 'Lisey's story' by Stephen King - not usually my choice of author but this is supposed to be his 'most ambitious and best yet', not a horror but still spine tingling. Reviews sound good.
Any creating is good creating - Charlie and I spent an hour today making a 'fishing game', you know the one with cardboard fish with paperclips at their mouths and a 'fishing line' with a magnet. Charlie loves it.

Anonymous said...

All those books you have read in such a short amount of time. I'm impressed.

I'm bloody hopeless when it comes to reading novels. I'm on my first one still for the year. Pathetic!